If you are located in the Pacific Northwest, you know about the heat wave we’ve been having. Our current living situation (more details coming soon!) has AC (thank GOD) so we’ve been able to cope with this heat. Many of you may not have AC- When it’s hot it’s a good idea to get outside and find water. There are a lot of amazing water hikes in Oregon but, I do have a favorite when you need to escape the heat: Cape Lookout.
I love everything about the Cape Lookout hike (especially in the heat). It’s a very easy hike. Easy hikes are good in extreme heat because you won’t overextend yourself. It has some of the best views I’ve ever seen. You will find dramatic coastline views. I’ve even seen sea lions, coastal birds, and WHALES! You can’t beat a hike with whales can you? The hike is also (obviously) on the coast which usually is cooler than the Willamette valley. Next time you are trying to beat the heat or just want a stunning coastal hike. Try Cape Lookout. I promise you will love it.
My Tips to Enjoy Cape Lookout:
- Bring a Camera!
- Bring a snack/lunch and enjoy on the beach once the hike is over.
- Do some research to see what types of wildlife may be in the area during your hike (late March- June is prime whale spotting time. Estimated 18,000 gray whales pass the Oregon coast during their migration in that period). Bring binoculars if you have them!
- Stop by the Tillamook Cheese Factory for a post hike ice cream.
- Be prepared. It takes about 1.5 hours from Portland to reach the trailhead
- Wear SPF- many portions of the trail are exposed to direct sun all times of the year.
- Bring friends, family or pets. This is a very easy and pet friendly hike. Perfect for out of towners- first time hikers, etc.