The days are getting shorter, and it’s the best time of the year for a cozy, comfort food. What better than lasagna? My mom makes a much more traditional Italian lasagna, but it’s a little more time consuming. We talked through how to make this recipe a little easier.
This was a big hit in my house- and it took awhile, but the steps are very easy. It was fantastic as left overs as well.
Let’s do this!
Lasagna is made of layers. Your meat sauce layer, your “white” or cream layer, noodles, and cheese. Lasagna takes a lot of steps because you need to create all the layers before assembly. Once you get each component made, it comes together very quickly!
First I get the sauce going- because it’s okay if it simmers away all day. Then I get the noodles going. *Tip lay out parchment paper so that you lay the noodles out to dry. If you keep them all in the bowl, they will stick together*
Then mix together your cream sauce and get your cheese ready and start layering!
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28oz crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 12oz tomato paste
- 13oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespooon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Start by cooking the sausage, ground beef, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is browned.
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Add in sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Let the mixture cook on low for about 1 1/2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally. It can cook longer, but at least 1 1/2 hours. I did mine for about 4 hours.
- Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook noodles in the boiling water for about 1-2 min LESS than the package says.
- Drain and rinse the noodles. Then lay out on parchment paper to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a 9″x13″ basking dish, spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange half the noodles lengthwise over the meat sauce. Spread half the ricotta cheeze mixture over the noodles, then add a third of the mozzarella cheese slices. Top with another 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce, then add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat this process with the remaining ingredients, then top it all with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, then bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving. This step is very crucial. Don’t serve too soon.
This will be a hit with your household! Let me know how it goes.